Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Dad's Poems

I was always surprised at how my dad could remember the poems of his youth.
He could recite Longfellow's "The Village Blacksmith" perfectly.  A few years before he died unexpectedly, I taped him reciting that poem.  I am so glad I have
it now. When we had him in our lives, I never heard his brogue but it is so evident  now on these tapes.  I guess your ears just don't hear it after so many years together.  I LOVE hearing his brogue now...and so thankful that I took
the time to record him.  Do yourself a favor and record those voices whether it is your young child or elderly parent, you will treasure them after they are gone. Make it a date on your calendar and just do it!  You'll be so glad you did.  We all have the family videos saying "hi" but get them talking about family tree stories or for your younger ones, a little song they learned or even a poem.  No one teaches poems anymore. There minds are sharp as tacks and they'll never forget the words in their adult years.  They'll remember you teaching them as well so it's a "win win".

No comments:

Post a Comment